Re: Characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Characters
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/10/2013 02:53 AM, P. Broennimann wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am using PG 9.2 and 'pg_database' shows 'en_US.UTF-8'.
>
> I have a text 'Piqué' but this is shown in my application as 'Piqu?' so
> I was wondering where the problem is?
>
> I am using Devart's 'PostgreSQL Data Access Components' to access PG
> from FreePascal.
>
> In my FreePascal code I do use AnsiStrings and I cast the database
> results/text 'UTF8ToAnsi(...)'
>
> Thanks for a hint!

Just guessing, but from FreePascal docs:

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/utf8toansi.html

"
Description

Utf8ToAnsi converts an utf8-encode unicode string to an ansistring. It
converts the string to a widestring and then converts the widestring to
an ansistring.

For this function to work, a widestring manager must be installed.
"

Is there a widestring manager?

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/setwidestringmanager.html

--