Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 03/04/2013 10:07, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:55 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
>>

>> A/ I think the names of "The Packagers List" should be public. I think
>> it's an important infomation when you choose a distibution system or a
>> service provider. One should be able to check if a package/service
>> provider is connected to the Security Team or not.
>
> The packagers list and security team are different groups.

Yes i'm talking of the packagers list.

>> B/ I feel that all "Packagers" should respect the "embargo date". They
>> should not produce the packages prior to the official realease. This is
>> what RPM and DEB packagers do and it's a good thing. Once again the
>> problem is not that Heroku had early access to the security fix. The
>> problem is that they "released" it 3 days before others packagers. I
>> don't know if they did that on purpose but the message they are sending
>> is "Heroku Postgres is more secure than vanilla PostgreSQL, because you
>> get upgrades before full disclosure"
>
> How would that work? The reason we have a number of days between the
> tarballs being rolled and the embargo date is that it takes time to
> build and properly QA the packages. In the case of the installers,
> each branch gets tested on 30 - 40 different platforms in total. It is
> simply not possible to "not produce the packages prior to the official
> realease".

Ok maybe I was not clear enough here. With the word "produce" I meant
"making available to public". I'm awara the packagers need time to build
and test their packages.

What I am saying is that the packagers should not release publicly the
packages before the official release date.

I feel that if Red Hat had released the new RPM on monday, many people
here would have been unpleased. So why can Heroku do it ?

>> C/ The Packagers list could be extended to companies providing
>> PostgreSQL support. If the term "Packagers" include not only
>> organizations that distribute the code but also organizations that
>> provide PostgreSQL as a services, then PostgreSQL Support services
>> should be included too.
>
> No, most definitely not. The packagers list is a working/coordination
> list, not one for discussion. We need to keep that list tightly
> purposed and focussed on those actually creating packages for public
> distribution and arguably in the future, deployment on public DBaaS
> platforms (the key word in both cases, being "public").

Meh. What do you mean by "public" ? To me something that is "available
to everyone" or "open to general view". If you include paying services
sucha as Red Hat and Heroku in this "public" definition, than I guess
PostgreSQL support company is "public" too ? Where's the difference ?

Once again I'm not arguing that the packagers list should be extended to
anyone asking. But if we include "PostgreSQL as a service" in this list
than we need to come up with a precise definition of what "PostgreSQL
service" means...