Re: Fwd: Problems with pg_locks explosion - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Fwd: Problems with pg_locks explosion
Date
List pgsql-performance
Yeah, as I understand it you should have 6000 IOPS available for the md
device (ideally).

The iostats you display certainly look benign... but the key time to be
sampling would be when you see the lock list explode - could look very
different then.

Re vm.dirty* - I would crank the values down by a factor of 5:

vm.dirty_background_ratio = 1 (down from 5)
vm.dirty_ratio = 2 (down from 10)

Assuming of course that you actually are seeing an IO stall (which
should be catchable via iostat or iotop)... and not some other issue.
Otherwise leave 'em alone and keep looking :-)

Cheers

Mark