Re: Money casting too liberal? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Money casting too liberal?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/28/2013 2:13 PM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> I would have rather made that part of the column definition similar to
> how we create timestamps with or without timezones.  If a column is
> tracking Yen it should always be Yen.  Y10,000 should never display as
> $100.00 just because the locale changes.

or to another extreme, part of the data, such that different rows could
have different monetary units.    (eg, money is implemented as a pair
(currency,amount).    eeek, then you'd need exchange rate tables and
such.   hahahahaha, what a nightmare.