Re: Roadmap for Postgres on AIX - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Roadmap for Postgres on AIX
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/18/2013 3:39 PM, Wasim Arif wrote:

What is the road map for Postgres on the AIX platform? I understand that the pg build farm contains an AIX 5.3 server; are there any plans to upgrade to 6.1 and 7.1?
Our servers run on AIX and we are evaluating using Postgres as the RDBMS. Part of my evaluation is understanding where the pg team is headed with AIX, and if it is considered a supported platform for the foreseeable future.

I have been building postgres for my companies inhouse use on AIX 6.1 without any issues.   I am using IBM XLC to compile it, and I'm building it with plpgsql and plperl support, but not any of the others (we don't use them).   I had to compile my own zlib and readline libraries to go with it, which I static link to simplify deployment.    because I link it with readline, my builds are GPL tainted and can't be distributed as-is, anyways, my employers policies would not allow me to do that.

I use a few tools from the IBM AIX Linux Toolkit for convenience, notably gtar, gmake, and wget.   XLC is installed in /usr/vac

my build script looks something like...

cd $HOME/src
wget http://..../zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz
gtar xzf zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz
cd zlib-1.2.5
export OBJECT_MODE=64
CC=/usr/vac/bin/xlc CFLAGS="-q64 -mcpu=pwr6 -O2" AR="/usr/bin/ar" ./configure --prefix=$HOME --64 --static
gmake clean
gmake
gmake install

cd $HOME/src
wget http://..../readline-6.1.tar.gz
gtar xzf readline-6.1.tar.gz
cd readline-6.1
export OBJECT_MODE=64
CC=/usr/vac/bin/xlc CFLAGS="-q64" AR="/usr/bin/ar" ./configure --prefix=$HOME --64 --static
gmake clean
gmake
gmake install

cd ~/src
wget http://..../postgresql-9.1.6.tar.gz
gtar xzf postgresql-9.1.6.tar.gz
cd postgresql-9.1.6

export OBJECT_MODE=64
CC=/usr/vacpp/bin/xlc CFLAGS="-q64 -I$HOME/src/include -O2 -qarch=pwr5 -qtune=balanced" \
    LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/src/lib" AR="/usr/bin/ar" \
    ./configure --prefix=/opt/pgsql91
gmake clean
gmake
cd contrib
gmake
cd ..
gmake check
su -c "gmake install"

cd /opt
gtar cvzf /tmp/postgresql-9.1.6-AIX-1.0.tar.gz pgsql91

this tarball is what we use on our production servers, we run postgres from /opt/pgsql91/...