Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
Re: Enabling Checksums  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/4/13 10:00 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:

>> >FWIW, I still think that checksumming belongs in the filesystem, not
>> >PostgreSQL.
> Doing checksums in the filesystem has some downsides.

Additionally, no filesystem I'm aware of checksums the data in the filesystem cache. A PG checksum would.

I'll also mention that this debate has been had in the past. The time to object to the concept of a checksuming feature
wasa long time ago, before a ton of development effort went into this... :(