Re: broke postgres, how to fix?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: broke postgres, how to fix??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/26/2013 04:12 PM, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM, JD Wong <jdmswong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Adrian,
>>
>>> That's guaranteed to break everything badly.
>>

>> Even if I "read only style" copied the files? Do you mind elaborating on why
>> this happens?  ( or point me to relevant documentation )
>
> What is "read only style", and how does postgres know about this?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/backup-file.html

I think we are going to need a more complete description of what happened.

1) The OS involved.

2) Postgres version of old and new directories

3) Location of old and new directories.

4) What exactly was done to get from old to new.

In the event things are real and truly broken, do you have backups?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com