Re: Amazon's "Redshift" data warehouse and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Amazon's "Redshift" data warehouse and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 02/17/2013 09:44 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> FYI
>
>> Its architecture is based around columnar data storage, advanced
> compression, and fast disk and network I/O.
>>
>> This, combined with its roots in the open source PostgreSQL database, has
> prompted The Reg to speculate that Amazon has managed to parallelize the
> PostgreSQL technology.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/15/amazon_redshift_goes_ga/

Wow, that's surprisingly uninformed for El Reg.

Redshift is based on Paraccel, which is a parallel, column-store DW fork
of Postgres which forked off version 8.2, and has been around since
2007.  Paraccel competes with Vertica Greenplum, Netezza, Aster Data,
and similar DW PostgreSQL forks.

It's DW-only, though; it's completely unsuited to OLTP/webapp workloads.
 Analytics only.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.