Re: 9.2.3 crashes during archive recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: 9.2.3 crashes during archive recovery
Date
Re: 9.2.3 crashes during archive recovery  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
Re: 9.2.3 crashes during archive recovery  (Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 13.02.2013 17:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas@vmware.com>  writes:
>> At least in back-branches, I'd call this a pilot error. You can't turn a
>> master into a standby just by creating a recovery.conf file. At least
>> not if the master was not shut down cleanly first.
>> I'm not sure that's worth the trouble, though. Perhaps it would be
>> better to just throw an error if the control file state is
>> DB_IN_PRODUCTION and a recovery.conf file exists.
>
> +1 for that approach, at least until it's clear there's a market for
> doing this sort of thing.  I think the error check could be
> back-patched, too.

Hmm, I just realized a little problem with that approach. If you take a
base backup using an atomic filesystem backup from a running server, and
start archive recovery from that, that's essentially the same thing as
Kyotaro's test case.

- Heikki