Re: Fractal tree indexing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Fractal tree indexing
Date
Re: Fractal tree indexing  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/13/2013 09:13 AM, Atri Sharma wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 13-Feb-2013, at 19:31, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
> .
>> I think its a good idea, the best idea even, but we still have no idea
>> what the requirements are without a clear case for an external index.
>> It could easily turn out that we invent a plausible API that's not
>> actually of use because of requirements for locking. Whoever wants
>> that can do the legwork.
>>
>> IIRC each of the new index types has required some changes to the
>> generic APIs, which makes sense.
>>

> Does that mean we can add support for fractal tree indexes(or some thing on similar lines) in the regular way by
changingthe generic APIs?

> IMO, we could design the fractal tree index and use it as the use case for generic WAL record(I am kind of obsessed
withthe idea of seeing fractal indexes being supported in Postgres).

If they are patented as Alexander says upthread, then surely the idea is
dead in the water.

cheers

andrew