Re: BUG #7803: Replication Problem(no master is there) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #7803: Replication Problem(no master is there)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 11.01.2013 11:19, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 11 January 2013 08:40, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas@vmware.com>  wrote:
>
>> This makes me wonder if there should be a GUC to forbid cascading
>> replication, though. If you don't want to do cascading replication (which is
>> quite rare, I'd say), you could just disable it to avoid a situation like
>> this.
>
> Connection from a standby is disabled by default. Don't enable it...

It's controlled by hot_standby=on/off. You might well want to enable hot
standby, to run queries on a standby, but disable cascading replication.

You can also forbid replication connections using pg_hba.conf, but then
you need to modify it to allow connections again after failover, when
the standby becomes master. That's doable, but inconvenient.

(just thinking out loud here..) If we were to have such a switch, it'd
be nice to still allow base backups from the standby.

- Heikki