Re: Any experience with Drobo SAN and PG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Any experience with Drobo SAN and PG?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/19/2012 5:29 AM, Vick Khera wrote:
> The Drobo uses some proprietary technology for their RAID.

its not really proprietary, and its not really raid.   its file replication.

totally doesn't work for random write type applications like databases.

for my HOME storage, I picked up a HP Microserver N40L last month on a
'black friday' sale, put 8GB ram in it, and FreeNAS on a USB stick
(there's an internal USB slot perfect for this) and populated it with 4
x 3TB drives (Seagate ST3000DM001's I pulled from $99 USB drives, also
on a black friday sale).    I've got it formatted as RaidZ (ZFS's
equivalent of raid5) and have no problem hitting 80MB/second over gigE
with SMB.    Now, I've not yet tested iscsi on it.

Pros:  inexpensive, flexible, robust, compact, low power (about 50 watts
average running).  ECC memory.   adequate dual core CPU (AMD Neo 1.5GHz).

Cons: 4 drives is what you get, unless you add a PCI-E card and an
external chassis.   8gb max supported ram (although folks say certainl
2x8gb combinations work). only 1 gigE port unless you add a PCI-E
card.   only holds 2 PCI-E low profile half length cards.