Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem?
Date
Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem?  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On 12/12/2012 06:44 AM, Evgeny Shishkin wrote:

On Dec 12, 2012, at 2:41 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt <nielskristian@autouncle.com> wrote:

Are you using a hardware based raid controller with them?

Yes, of course. Hardware raid with cache and bbu is a must. You can't get fast fsync without it.

Most SSDs should offer fairly fast fsync without a hardware RAID controller, as they do write-back caching. The trick is to find ones that do write-back caching safely, so you don't get severe data corruption on power-loss.

A HW RAID controller is an absolute must for rotating magnetic media, though.

Also mdadm is a pain in the ass and is suitable only on amazon and other cloud shit.

I've personally been pretty happy with mdadm. I find the array portability it offers very useful, so I don't need to buy a second RAID controller just in case my main controller dies and I need a compatible one to get the array running again. If you don't need a BBU for safe write-back caching then mdadm has advantages over hardware RAID.

I'll certainly use mdadm over onboard fakeraid solutions or low-end hardware RAID controllers. I suspect a mid- to high end HW RAID unit will generally win.