Re: shared_buffers on ubuntu precise - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: shared_buffers on ubuntu precise
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 01/12/12 11:21, Daniel Farina wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Or Debian.  Not sure what would justify use of Ubuntu as a server,
>> except wanting to have the exact same OS as their personal computers.
>
> We have switched from Debian to Ubuntu: there is definitely non-zero
> value in the PPA hosting (although it's rather terrible in many ways),
> regular LTS releases (even if you choose not to use them right away,
> and know they are somewhat buggy at times), and working with AWS and
> Canonical as organizations (that, most importantly, can interact
> directly without my own organization) on certain issues. For example,
> this dog of a bug:
>
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ec2/+bug/929941
>
> I also frequently take advantage of Debian unstable for backporting of
> specific packages that are very important to me, so there's a lot of
> value to me in Ubuntu being quite similar to Debian.  In fact, even
> though I say we 'switched', it's not as though we re-did some
> entrenched systems from Debian to Ubuntu -- rather, we employ both
> systems at the same time and I don't recall gnashing of teeth about
> that, because they are very similar.  Yet, there is a clear Ubuntu
> preference for new systems made today and, to wit, I can't think of
> anyone with more than the most mild preference for Debian. Conversely,
> I'd say the preference for Ubuntu for the aforementioned reasons is
> clear but moderate at most.
>
> Also, there's the similarity to the lap/desktop environment. Often
> cited with some derision, yet it does add a lot of value, even if
> people run slightly newer Ubuntus on their non-production computer.

+1

We have gone through pretty much the same process in the last couple of
years. Most of our new systems run Ubuntu, some Debian.

There is definitely value in running the "same" system on the desktop
too - often makes bug replication ridiculously easy (no having to find
the appropriate test environment, ask if I can hammer/punish/modify it
etc etc, and no need even spin up a VM).

Cheers

Mark