Re: Strange behaviour with incompatible psql/server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Strange behaviour with incompatible psql/server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28.11.2012 10:46, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> While I'm almost certain that this has something to do with special
> characters that my naked eyes can not see, all my attempts to spot the
> difference has failed. So I really have two questions:
>
> 1. What's the difference between these files ?

Compare "hexdump -C bad.sql" and "hexdump -C good.sql". There's a UTF-8
Byte-Order-Mark at the beginning of bad.sql, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Order_Mark#UTF-8

> 2. Why 9.0 psql works fine with that difference, but 8.4 psql does not ?

Dunno, I'll let you investigate that ;-)

- Heikki