Re: Add contrib module functions to docs' function index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Add contrib module functions to docs' function index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
cite="mid:002101cdc1fa$7c5a2640$750e72c0$@yahoo.com"type="cite"><br /><pre wrap="">For clarity does this proposal refer
toChapter 9 of the documentation, the

"Index", or both.

If modifying Chapter 9 the function and operator tables should be extended
to include a "source" column with values of "base" or "contrib: <module
name>" or something similar.

As to the desirability of such a change I concur that it would be a nice
usability enhancement to consider beyond just updating the actual "Index".
settings)appear in the documentation index ( <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/bookindex.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/bookindex.html</a>)
soit's easy to find a function by name whether it's in core or contrib. This is what I want to add to TODO.<br /><br />
Separately,it might also be nice to add the contrib functions to the section 9 tables with an extra column showing
theirorigin, but that's less clearly a good thing. Even if there's a column saying "intarray" for intarray functions in
thearray functions list, people will still try to use them without loading the extension and get confused when they're
notfound. It'll also bloat the listings of core functions. Rather than do that, I'd probably prefer to add a note to
relevantsections. For example, in array functions I'd want to add "Additional functions that operate only on arrays of
cols="72">--Craig Ringer                   <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/">http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/</a>PostgreSQLDevelopment, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services</pre>