Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> Far more interesting would be change over time. "The trend is XX%
> increase/decrease over X years."
>
> So, a great project for someone: start collecting these stats in a way that
> can be reproduced by others and publish the data.

So, here's the reason I haven't been interested in pursuing these
numbers for several years.  I used to track them.

In May of 2005, we had a sudden 70% drop in Windows downloads.  WTH?

After some digging, it turned out that in April the downloads site
TuCows started offering PostgreSQL 8.0 for download, and by May this was
the top link for "postgres windows" on Google.  But if you just looked
at the numbers, it looked like Windows adoption had fallen off a cliff.

The stats we have are counts on download redirects from
www.postgresql.org, and EnterpriseDB has been happy to furnish counts
from the one-click downloads on request.  I don't know if we have stats
for yum.postgresql.org.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.