Re: Should "select 'nan'::float = 'nan'::float;" return false as per IEEE 754 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Should "select 'nan'::float = 'nan'::float;" return false as per IEEE 754
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/28/2012 11:05 AM, Chris Corbyn wrote:
> Would this introduce problems finding rows where the stored value is NaN? You'd need to add a function or operator to
avoidthat.

I guess it should behave similar to NULL-s

That is IS NOT DISTINCT FROM should still return true

test=# select NULL IS NOT DISTINCT FROM NULL as must_be_true; must_be_true
(1 row)

I guess making the NaN comparison IEEE compliant could introduce
some problems with indexes, so I propose that index operators would
treat NaNs like NULLs

Hannu

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1565164/what-is-the-rationale-for-all-comparisons-returning-false-for-ieee754-nan-values