Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 26/10/2012 01:41, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:

> If you're looking for a rough (but still apples-to-apples) Postgres
> vs. MySQL estimate, what about using Debian popcon? Looking at this
>
> For MySQL client:
> 183654
>
> For PostgreSQL client:
> 122026
>
> For MySQL server:
> 113256
>
> For PostgreSQL server, tallying by hand*:
> 53547

So MySQL has 183654 clients to 113256 servers - 1.62 clients to a server

Postgres has 122026 clients to 53547 servers - 2.28 clients to a server

Does that represent that postgres naturally handles more clients? or
just how many apps support postgres?

It will be hard to measure but I think you will find that mysql has a
similar effect to windows oem - some apps fail to provide an option to
switch off mysql support so you get forced to install mysql even when
you don't want to use it. This is the only reason that I have mysql
installed on my machine - programs won't build without it. But that
doesn't mean I have ever bothered to get mysql server running.
(Well not for about 6 years now)