Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Paul Argudo
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi there,

Le 25/10/2012 14:31, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>> I plan to reply something like: "we cannot count Windows installer,
>> other binaries, RPM packages, Debian packages, etc. but regular
>> downloads from the Community site are XX".
>
> It's not helpful if the exceptions make our numbers look smaller than
> MySQL's ...

This idea is not new but.. Could we imagine some kind of automatic
survey on install?

Depending packaging, OSes and such, this would be implemented
differently, for sure, but the basic would be that we ask the one
installing if (s)he wants to participate in a survey of few questions or
send some anonymous infos to the project (like hardware specs, OS specs
for example).

This is done in various other projects.

Just wondering what you think of this kind of thing...

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQL.(fr|eu)