Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/19/2012 09:44 AM, Karl Denninger wrote:

> For really BIG databases (as opposed to moderately-big) this could be a
> much-more material problem than it is for me.

Which reminds me. I really wish pg_basebackup let you specify an
alternative compression handler. We've been using pigz on our systems
because our database is so large. It cuts backup time drastically, from
about 2.5 hours to 28 minutes.

Until a CPU can compress at the same speed it can read data from disk
devices, that's going to continue to be a problem. Parallel compression
is great.

So even after our recent upgrade, we've kept using our home-grown backup
system. :(

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534