Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> You and Josh seem to be strong proponents of rules for reasons other
> than "I just don't want to break applications".  That's not too many
> to ask both of you: can you itemize your use cases and how important
> you feel they are?

Well, my main issue is actually that I don't want to break people's
applications.  I seldom use RULEs myself.

The one area where I do is handling bulk loading for partitioning or
other table redirection.  For this case, rules are much, much, much (as
in 100X) faster than row-at-a-time triggers.

Could statement triggers and MERGE be improved to replace this?  Pretty
much certainly.  Have they been?  No.

Also, I'll point out that surveying -hackers for feature usage is a
pretty skewed group.  A bunch of the people on this list (maybe most of
them) don't develop applications -- some never have.  If we think
surveying usage affects our plans for deprecation, then we ought to
survey a less select group of users.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.