Re: pg_dump restore error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gilles Darold
Subject Re: pg_dump restore error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le 14/10/2012 18:50, Tom Lane a écrit :
> Gilles Darold <gilles.darold@dalibo.com> writes:
>> Restoring a backup generated with pg_dump/pg_dumpall in plain text
>> format and the --clean option will report errors if the backup is loaded
>> in an other or empty database.
> This is intentional.  What you propose amounts to a fundamental change
> in the semantics of --clean, and I don't think that it's really much
> of an improvement.

I'm agree that this is not an improvement, I used to work with it
because I know it's harmless error messages. The request comes from a
client that claims that replaying his backup on a new server was always
producing those errors.

I was just thinking that cleaning if exists was also harmless, but it is
probably better to have error reported in most of the cases.

Regards,

--
Gilles Darold
Administrateur de bases de données