Re: database corruption questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: database corruption questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/13/12 7:13 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> * Use a good quality hardware RAID controller with a battery backup
> cache unit if you're using spinning disks in RAID. This is as much for
> performance as reliability; a BBU will make an immense difference to
> database performance.

a comment on this one....   I have some test servers with lots of SAS
and/or SATA drives on controllers like LSI Logic 9261-8i, with 512MB or
1GB battery-backed cache.     I can configure the controller for JBOD
and use linux mdraid raid10 and get the same performance as the
controllers native raid10, as long as the write-back cache is
enabled.     disable the writeback cache, and you might as well be using
SATA JBOD.