Can the string literal syntax for function definitions please be dropped ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Madden
Subject Can the string literal syntax for function definitions please be dropped ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

Can the string literal syntax for the function body in a CREATE FUNCTION statement please,
please be dropped ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/plpgsql-structure.html

It is so annoying and not ISO/ANSI and not compatible with other DBMSs...

I have written a mail about SQL conformance on a list like this once before, and I promptly got
a detailed negative response back!

Now I can understand that the standard may be unrealistically demanding for someone actually
trying to build and implement a DBMS (although I am yet to read or hear this actually), but for
features already present in PostgreSQL (binary objects, SQL functions), some effort to also
make the syntax conforming to the standards should be worthy ...

Thank you,
Timothy Madden