Re: Hyperthreading (was: Two identical systems, radically different performance) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Hyperthreading (was: Two identical systems, radically different performance)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/9/12 1:12 PM, Craig James wrote:
> I've confirmed that hyperthreading causes a huge drop in performance on a
> 2x4-core Intel Xeon E5620 2.40GHz system.  The bottom line is:
>
>   ~3200 TPS max with hyperthreading
>   ~9000 TPS max without hyprethreading

Oh, interesting!  This is the first time I've seen results like this on
a later Linux kernel and processor.  I thought Intel had licked the
"hyperthreading penalty".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.