Re: Forum.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-www

From John Hansen
Subject Re: Forum.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-www
> Let me first say this looks pretty cool, and thanks for your
> efforts on this John.
>
> Ok, now for the grilling ;-)
>
> Is it supposed to be read only? I went to post a reply but
> was told I have to register, then went to try and register
> and registration was disabled, so I'm not sure what your plan
> is for that, but I am thinking the first patch should be that
> when an Administrator disables registration the register
> buttons don't come up.

No, the idea is to have it fully integrated with the mailing lists.
This will require a bit of work however, since it would have to be
set up, so that only subscribers to the list would be able to post
to a forum. It's not trivial, but not that difficult either.

> Possibly patch #2 should be that, if
> you want it to be read only, the post reply buttons could be
> turned off.

Yea, I'd have to agree with that, however this is not the goal, and as
such, I feel my time is better spent on getting it fully functional.

I have emailed the author your suggestions for disabling the register
button, and the post reply button.

> I was also curious how often the messages are
> updated (they seemed pretty up to date) and how far back they
> go.

There is a delay, but it is minimal.
Currently, I receive them thru subscription to each list, so the delay
is
equal to the time it takes an email to get to my servers.

Once fully integrated, they will go as far back as the archives.

> Last thing of note, we probably want to make a more
> formal banner on the top and use the same css as the main
> site (better might be to just uses the alexy/beta site's theme)

What banner?

Adjusting it to match the beta scheme should be trivial, I'll have a
look at that.

... John