Re: changes to postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: changes to postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 09/24/2012 06:05 AM, Johnny Tan wrote:
> I need to make changes to these settings in postgresql.conf:
> * effective_cache_size
> * shared_buffers
> * work_mem
> * maintenance_work_mem
>
> On a live, production server, can I simply do a "reload" and get those
> values in, or do I need to do a stop/start?

To expand on other responses, try "select * from pg_settings;" and see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-settings.html

Anything with a "context" of "postmaster" requires a restart so while
shared_buffers requires a restart the other three do not and, in fact,
can be set by a user on a per-connection basis.

Cheers,
Steve