Re: Setting autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor to 0 a good idea ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Setting autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor to 0 a good idea ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
> I am pondering about this... My thinking is that since *_scale_factor need
> to be set manually for largish tables (>1M), why not
> set autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor and autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor, and
> increase the value of autovacuum_vacuum_threshold to, say, 10000, and
> autovacuum_analyze_threshold
> to 2500 ? What do you think ?

I really doubt you want to be vacuuming a large table every 10,000 rows.
 Or analyzing every 2500 rows, for that matter.  These things aren't
free, or we'd just do them constantly.

Manipulating the analyze thresholds for a large table make sense; on
tables of over 10m rows, I often lower autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor
to 0.02 or 0.01, to get them analyzed a bit more often.  But vacuuming
them more often makes no sense.

> Also, with systems handling 8k-10k tps and dedicated to a single database,
> would there be any cons to decreasing autovacuum_naptime to say 15s, so
> that the system perf is less spiky ?

You might also want to consider more autovacuum workers.  Although if
you've set the thresholds as above, that's the reason autovacuum is
always busy and not keeping up ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.