Re: "make report" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "make report"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
> I was thinking about something like "make report" which would mail the
> results of ./configure to, say, the ports mailing list. We could mention
> it in the text message printed at the end of the make cycle.

I think it'd be a bad idea to encourage people to send mail to the ports
list.  For one thing, a pile of nonsubscriber mail would make more work
for Marc, who has quite enough already.  If you want to do this, set up
a dedicated mail alias to receive such reports.

(Possibly my thoughts on soliciting mass email are a tad colored by the
amount of virus traffic I've been seeing lately :-( ... if the Klez
epidemic gets any worse I will be forced to shut down jpeg-info, which
is currently seeing upwards of 1000 virus mails/day...)

I do like Joe's idea of embedding a complete configuration report
right into the backend executable, where it can be retrieved long
after config.log has been thrown away.