Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/1/2012 6:42 AM, Edson Richter wrote:
> Nevertheless, when we present our product to customers, they won't get
> satisfied until we guarantee we can run same product with major paid
> versions (Oracle, MS SQL, and so on).
I think this is a business problem not a technology problem. Forget
trying to persuade these folks that your solution is a good one.
It is better instead to just say "ok, you can have X (Oracle, whatever)
and the price will be y (quite large number)".
In my experience a customer in this situation will suddenly become much
less entrenched in their belief that your solution is not suitable.
Shift the frame to be about money (easily quantifiable, and something
the customer wants to keep) rather than technical arguments (hard to
quantify, win, pin down, cheap and easy for the customer to argue about).