Re: BUG #6239: Looking for a technical contact point for PostgreSQL compatibility issue on Windows8 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: BUG #6239: Looking for a technical contact point for PostgreSQL compatibility issue on Windows8
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 01/09/12 18:40, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 4 October 2011 02:42, Seiko Ishida <v-seishi@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference:      6239
>> Logged by:          Seiko Ishida
>> Email address:      v-seishi@microsoft.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4
>> Operating system:   Windows 8
>> compatibility issue on Windows8
>> Details:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a Program Manager with the Ecosystem Engineering team at Microsoft.
>>
>> I am looking for a technical contact point to notify of compatibility issues
>> with PostgreSQL.
>> Could you please connect me to the appropriate
>> individual for this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Seiko Ishida
>> Microsoft ISV Readiness, EcoSystem Engineering Team
>> Program Manager
>> Ref : 341057
>
> As a general check, I'd like to raise the topic of Window 8 and
> Windows Server 2012 support.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.2 will be released in next few weeks/months, since we are
> now at release candidate stage.
>
> Can I confirm that both Microsoft and PostgreSQL community thinks
> Windows 8/Server 2012 is fully supported?
>
> I can't see build farm members running either of those relases, and
> there's been no further comments on this issue here. Is somebody doing
> private testing on behalf of the community?
>
> Should we be mentioning Windows8 and Server 2012 support in our
> release notes? It seems like it could be "a feature", or at very least
> it will be a popular question. OTOH, we don't mention "tuned for the
> Linux 3 kernel", but then perhaps we should be doing that as well...

Runs on Microsoft's Windows 8, tuned for Linux 3 kernel!  :-)

Possibly Microsoft could donate boxen to enable PostgreSQL to be tested
on their O/S's?

Though personally I have no intention of running PostgreSQL on any
Microsoft O/S.

[N.B.  I have no authority to speak for PostgreSQL developers!]