Re: 9.2RC1 wraps this Thursday ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: 9.2RC1 wraps this Thursday ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/24/2012 10:10 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> TBH I'd rather stick with the less invasive approach of the original patch
>>> at this stage, and see about refactoring for 9.3.
>> +1.
>> While I haven't looked at the code specifically, these areas can be
>> quite fragile and very environment-dependent. I'd rather not upset it
>> this close to release - especially not after RC wrap.
> Fair enough.  Will one of you deal with the patch as-is, then?

I had a brief talk with Magnus the other day, and I have just spent more
time looking over this. This is a fairly narrow failure case, with a not
so narrow proposed solution. Making pg_ctl re-exec itself whenever we
see that we're running as an admin user is a very broad brush approach,
since the problem is restricted to cases where we have a config-only
data directory. I'm particularly concerned about the possible effect
that might have on pg_ctl when it's running as a service controller, and
I'm not prepared to commit anything like the current patch without a
great deal more testing. A temporary bandaid might be to do the
detection of admin privileges and go back to doing what we did there
before we got adjust_data_dir() for that case. That at least should work
no worse than what we have now.

cheers

andrew