Re: [ADMIN] Messed up time zones - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Laszlo Nagy
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Messed up time zones
Date
List pgsql-performance
> So you took two distinct points in time, threw away some critical
> information, and are surprised why they are now equal?
Well, I did not want to throw away any information. The actual
representation could be something like:

"2012-11-04 01:30:00-08 in Europe/Budapest, Winter time"

and

"2012-11-04 01:30:00-08 in Europe/Budapest, Summer time".

It would be unambiguous, everybody would know the time zone, the UTC
offset and the time value, and conversion back to UTC would be
unambiguous too.

I presumed that the representation is like that. But I was wrong. I have
checked other programming languages. As it turns out, nobody wants to
change the representation just because there can be an ambiguous hour in
every year. Now I think that most systems treat ambiguous time stamps as
if they were in standard time. And who am I to go against the main flow?
I'm sorry, I admit that the problem was in my head.