ZFS vs. UFS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Laszlo Nagy
Subject ZFS vs. UFS
Date
Re: ZFS vs. UFS  (Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>)
Heavy inserts load wile querying...  (Ioannis Anagnostopoulos <ioannis@anatec.com>)
Re: ZFS vs. UFS  (Torsten Zuehlsdorff <foo@meisterderspiele.de>)
Re: ZFS vs. UFS  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-performance

  Hello,

Under FreeBSD 9, what filesystem should I use for PostgreSQL? (Dell PowerEdge 2900, 24G mem, 10x2T SATA2 disk, Intel RAID controller.)

  • ZFS is journaled, and it is more independent of the hardware. So if the computer goes wrong, I can move the zfs array to a different server.
  • UFS is not journaled. Also I have to rely on the RAID card to build the RAID array. If there is a hw problem with it, then I won't be able to recover the data easily.

I wonder if UFS has better performance or not. Or can you suggest another fs? Just of the PGDATA directory.

Thanks,

   Laszlo