Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ernest E Vogelsinger
Subject Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:
Date
Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:  (Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net>)
List pgsql-general
At 14:41 18.06.2003, Shridhar Daithankar said:
--------------------[snip]--------------------

>Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? As in swappng CPU/RAM/Add on cards on
>the fly?
>
>That is news to me. Could you point me to more resources on this?
--------------------[snip]--------------------

AFAIK swappable hardware needs to be supported by the hardware as well.
Currently hard disks and power supplies can be hot-swapped, I never heard
of the possibility to hot-swap directly on the data bus (memory, CPU, slot
cards).

As for SCSI disks and Power supplies, Linux supports hot swap. Check out
Dell servers for example.

--
   >O     Ernest E. Vogelsinger
   (\)    ICQ #13394035