Re: pg_dump in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dump in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 08:52 AM 13/11/2002 -0500, Rod Taylor wrote:
>The biggest trick will be trying to re-combine the ALTER ... ADD
>CONSTRAINT and ALTER ... SET DEFAULT statements back into CREATE TABLE

I'm not sure this would be worth the effort - I'll grant it would be cute,
but  getting pg_dump to understand SQL seems a little ambitious. We'd
probably end up defining a portable schema definition language just for
dump files.

To achieve Tom's suggestion it might be simpler to store two versions - the
'full' version, and the 'fully deconstructed' version. If our analysis of
the dependencies  meant we needed to break up an object, then we use the
latter.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /