Re: Intermittent Startup Failures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan Mahoney
Subject Re: Intermittent Startup Failures
Date
List pgsql-general
There may be some errors in the script that's loads postgres at
startup.  Look in the "/etc/rc.d/init/" directory and see if there is an
executable named postgres or something similar.  If so, post the source of
this file to the group so we can take a look.

Good Luck!

-Ryan Mahoney

At 10:22 AM 7/18/01 -0700, Debra LaVille wrote:

>I have users experiencing problems with PostgreSQL failing to start up
>consistently when their machines reboot. (The reboot may or may not be a
>result of a machine lockup.) No messages have been logged to the
>/var/log/messages file other than "startup failed", but executing the
>startup script by hand then successfully starts PostgreSQL. I have also seen
>the "starup failed" message displayed on reboot, logged to the messages
>file, but when I checked, postmaster acually is running and I was able to
>start psql. I'm not a script file or Linux guru, but need to get to the
>bottom of this problem. Sorry I cannot provide more data, but any
>suggestions to help me debug this problem would be appreciated. BTW, I'm
>using PostgreSQL 7.1 with Linux 7.0.

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.