Re: Database level encryption - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Gould
Subject Re: Database level encryption
Date
List pgsql-admin
Timothy,

I've worked with SQL Anywhere which does have database encryption.  There
are pluses to having a encrypted db, but it did slow down the processing.
They also had the ability to encrypt stored procedures and triggers.  That
didn't' seem to really slow down the system.

That being said, the encryption will keep the normal user out of the system,
but those aren't the people you need to worry about. The people you need to
worry about are the real hackers and they will be able to get around this
type of encryption.  I'd like to see something to protect stored procedures
and triggers but overall I agree that a encrypted drive is probably the best
thing and require ssl connections.

Best Regards

Michael Gould