Re: COPY manual is ambiguous about column list - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: COPY manual is ambiguous about column list
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, 2019-11-27 at 17:54 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> "If a list of columns is specified, COPY will only copy the data in the
> specified columns to or from the file. If there are any columns in the table
> that are not in the column list, COPY FROM will insert the default values
> for those columns."
>
> I clearly see "to or from" file here. But if one tries to COPY FROM filename
> with more columns than list specified, the process fails:

I think you misunderstood the documentation.

Nowhere in that sentence is the documentation talking about columns in
the file, only columns in the table.

But if you got it wrong, maybe a clarification would be a good idea.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe