Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/08/16 06:40, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was thinking that the syntax for quorum method would use '[ ... ]'
>>> but it will be confused with '( ... )' priority method used.
>>> 001 patch adds 'Any N ( ... )' style syntax but I know that we still
>>> might need to discuss about better syntax, discussion is very welcome.
>>> Attached draft patch, please give me feedback.
>>
>> I am +1 for using either "{}" or "[]" to define a quorum set, and -1
>> for the addition of a keyword in front of the integer defining for how
>> many nodes server need to wait for.
>
> Thank you for reply.
> "{}" or "[]" are not bad but because these are not intuitive, I
> thought that it will be hard for uses to use different method for each
> purpose.

I think the "any" keyword is more explicit and understandable, also
closer to SQL. So I would be in favor of doing that.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services