Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db

From: jesper@krogh.cc
Subject: Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (chris, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Greg Smith, )
  Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Robert Schnabel, )
   Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  ("chris r.", )
   Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Rob Wultsch, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Terry Schmitt, )

>   1 x Intel Xeon X5670, 6C, 2.93GHz, 12M Cache
>   16 GB (4x4GB) Low Volt DDR3 1066Mhz
>   PERC H700 SAS RAID controller
>   4 x 300 GB 10k SAS 6Gbps 2.5" in RAID 10

Apart from Gregs excellent recommendations. I would strongly suggest
more memory. 16GB in 2011 is really on the low side.

PG is using memory (either shared_buffers og OS cache) for
keeping frequently accessed data in. Good recommendations are hard
without knowledge of data and access-patterns, but 64, 128 and 256GB
system are quite frequent when you have data that can't all be
in memory at once.

SAN's are nice, but I think you can buy a good DAS thing each year
for just the support cost of a Netapp, but you might have gotten a
really good deal there too. But you are getting a huge amount of
advanced configuration features and potential ways of sharing and..
and .. just see the specs.

.. and if you need those the SAN is a good way to go, but
they do come with a huge pricetag.

Jesper