Need help for constructing query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco
Subject Need help for constructing query
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a table like this:

id    date        min    max    value
1    2011-03-25    20    30    17
3    2011-03-21    40    55    43
3    2011-03-23    40    55    52
2    2011-02-25    5        2
4    2011-03-15            74
4    2011-03-25            128
1    2011-03-22    20    30    24

I'm looking for a query that outputs the last rows (highest date) per id where
the value is between min and max. I already have problems displaying the last
rows per id. Something like

select id, max(date) from mytable group by id;

gives just the id and the date, not the other values. I think of doing this in
two steps:

1) Display the rows with the highest date per id. That gives as many rows as
   ids exist.
2) Remove the rows that do not match ( value<max and value>min )

Marco