Re: Major features of 9.0? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua Tolley
Subject Re: Major features of 9.0?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:02:39PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Josh Berkus:
>
> >> Isn't hstore key/value pair data, rather than schema-less.
> >
> > Well, when the "NoSQL" people talk about "schemaless", that's what they
> > mean.
>
> Some of them have got arbitrarily nested documents involving
> sequences, booleans, sequences of string/document pairs, strings, and
> floats.  Positioning PostgreSQL's simple key/value support against
> that could be a PR mistake. 8-)

Yeah, I've got to agree on that point, and retract my earlier statement as
overly broad. Yes, lots of NoSQL databases are simple key-value stores, but
lots of them are significantly more than that.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Attachment