Re: DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 07/11/2012 03:18 PM, Craig James wrote:

> It strikes me as a contrived case rather than a use case.  What sort of
> app repeatedly fills and truncates a small table thousands of times ...
> other than a test app to see whether you can do it or not?

Test systems. Any company with even a medium-size QA environment will
have continuous integration systems that run unit tests on a trash
database hundreds or thousands of times through the day. Aside from
dropping/creating the database via template, which would be *really*
slow, truncate is the easiest/fastest way to reset between tests.

If TRUNCATE suddenly started defaulting to DELETE on small table-sets
and several iterations led to exponential index growth, that would be
rather unfortunate.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534