Re: pg_prewarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: pg_prewarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/10/12 5:22 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> writes:
>> I think we want this.  There is some discussion about how much overlap
>> it has with pgfincore, but I don't think there is an active proposal
>> to put that into contrib, so don't see that as blocking this.
>
> It is my understanding that Cédric wants to propose a patch for
> pgfincore as a contrib module in next Commit Fest, and has already been
> working on some necessary cleaning to see that happen.

Still means "not a blocker" in my book.

pgFincore, great as it is:

a) might not be ready for contrib in 9.2
b) isn't supported on all platforms
c) isn't necessarily safe in production (I've crashed Linux with Fincore
in the recent past).

As such, I see no reason why pgprewarm and pgfincore in contrib should
block each other, either way.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.