Re: Introducing the TPC-V benchmark, and its relationship to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Introducing the TPC-V benchmark, and its relationship to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 07/04/2012 07:08 AM, Reza Taheri wrote:

> ... so the subcommittee moved forward with developing its own
> reference kit. The reference kit has been developed to run on
> PostgreSQL, and we are focusing our development efforts and testing on
> PostgreSQL.
That's a very positive step. The TPC seems to me to have a pretty poor
reputation among open source database users and vendors. I think that's
largely because the schema and tools are typically very closed and
restrictively licensed, though the prohibition against publishing
benchmarks by big commercial vendors doesn't help.

This sounds like a promising change. The TPC benchmarks are really good
for load-testing and regression testing, so having one that's directly
PostgreSQL friendly will be a big plus, especially if it is
appropriately licensed.

The opportunity to audit the schema, queries, and test setup before the
tool is finalized would certainly be appealing. What can you publish in
draft form now?

What license terms does the TPC plan to release the schema, queries, and
data for TPC-V under?

I've cc'd Greg Smith and Dave Page, both of whom I suspect will be
interested in this development but could easily miss your message. If
you haven't read Greg' book "PostgreSQL High Performance" it's probably
a good idea to do so.

--
Craig Ringer