Re: SSD selection - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Boreham
Subject Re: SSD selection
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 5/16/2012 11:01 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Although your assertion 100% supported by intel's marketing numbers,
> there are some contradicting numbers out there that show the drives
> offering pretty similar performance.  For example, look here:
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4902/intel-ssd-710-200gb-review/4  and
> you can see that 4k aligned writes are giving quite similar results
> (14k iops) even though the 710 is only rated for 2700 iops while the
> 320 is rated for 21000 IOPS.  Other benchmarks also show similar
> results.
Actually I said the same thing you're saying : that the two series will
deliver similar performance.

The spec numbers however would be for worst case conditions (in the case
of the 710).
I'm not convinced that those tests were exercising the worst case part
of the envelope.