Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 04/09/2012 02:14 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 01:25:15PM +0100, Claes Jakobsson wrote:
>>> Why?
>> listen/notify over SSL for example unless that's been fixed in the
>> JDBC driver recently. And I'm sure there are other things in libpq that
>> would be nice to have.>  >  As mainly a Perl dude which uses libpq via
>> DBD::Pg I find it odd that the Java people doesn't do the same instead
>> of reimplementing everything.
> Well, I assume they reimplemented libpq so that java would not rely on a
> platform-specific library like libpq.

Type 4 drivers are the norm in the Java world. You would find it much
more difficult to get traction among Java users, in my experience, with
a driver that's not pure Java.

And in any case, I think it's a good thing to have two significant
independent implementations of the wire protocol out there.

Note too that the maintainer of the Perl DBD driver has opined in my
hearing that he would like to be able to move from relying on libpq to
having a pure Perl driver (although personally speaking I'm glad he hasn't.)

cheers

andrew