Re: Managing two sets of data in one database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Managing two sets of data in one database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/29/12 9:43 AM, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> 1) A large (~150GB) dataset.  This data set is mainly static.  It is
> updated, but not by the users (it is updated by our company, which
> provides the data to users).  There are some deletions, but it is safe
> to consider this an "add-only" database, where only new records are
> created.
> 2) A small (~10MB but growing) dataset.  This is the user's data.  It
> includes many bookmarks (i.e. foreign keys) into data set #1.
>  However, I am not explicitly using any referential integrity system.

by 'dataset' do you mean table, aka relation ?

by 'not using any referential integrity', do you mean, you're NOT using
foreign keys ('REFERENCES table(field)' in your table declaration ?

> Also, many queries cross the datasets together.

by 'cross', do you mean JOIN  ?

> Now, my issue is that right now when we do updates to the dataset, we
> have to make them to the live database.  I would prefer to manage data
> releases the way we manage software releases - have a staging area,
> test the data, and then deploy it to the users.  However, I am not
> sure the best approach for this.  If there weren't lots of crossover
> queries, I could just shove them in separate databases, and then swap
> out dataset #1 when we have a new release.

you can't JOIN data across relations(tables) in different databases.